Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Oct 6 - dive into research questions

I just got back from Vermont on Saturday, & I can’t wait to get into this project!  Before my visit to my cousin Alice, we had agreed to focus on the Horr branch of our family and the interconnections with our Blakely branch starting in the 1840s.  I gathered deeds, documents, a diary, photos, and several pieces of handwoven cloth and needlework from that branch to take with me to show Alice.  I set up a family timeline with dates of births, deaths, marriages, etc. and a catalog of the letters in chronological order.  I packed one suitcase with all of my historic treasures, including the older letters we had, from 1840s to 1860.
While we were together, Alice & I shared all of the treasures we had, finding joy in our shared enthusiasm.  We explored the cemeteries where these ancestors had been buried and investigated the archives of several small town historical societies.  She showed me a way to open the letters gently & keep them in archival quality plastic pockets.  Alice will keep the cloth heirlooms and make contact with experts at the Shelburne Museum and the American Textile History Museum in Lowell, Massachusetts, to find out more about them & their historic value.  She will keep the photos, too, and scan & organize them.  She has far-flung contacts who can help identify some of these unlabeled family & friends.  I brought the letters & deeds back to Washington, but she will transcribe the scanned letters for us. 

Now I can dive into the substance of the letters!  

No comments:

Post a Comment