Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Maple, Wisconsin

1,826 miles

Mar 22 – I’m the great-granddaughter of maple syrup makers in Vermont, inheritor of handmade maple furniture from the ancestral farm, an admirer of maple foliage in the fall, and a lover of maple in all of its forms.  How could I not visit this town named Maple?

picnic shelter & play courts
Maple, Wisconsin, has a population of about 649, including several unincorporated communities.  I found no town at all, except the truck stop and this picnic shelter & play court.  

It appears that the town name was part of a tree-based naming spree.  Nearby is the town of Poplar, with Elm Rd. & Oak Rd.  Maple has a Balsam Drive.  And then there’s cheerful little Blueberry, where I can imagine a cute little café with freshly-baked muffins.  (No such luck.)


Sundown Cafe & truck stop
I don’t like the attitude that these small communities are inciting in me.  I’m sincerely trying to observe & appreciate each place for what it means to the people living there.  Not as an armchair tourist seeking vicarious thrills.  Not as a scornful big-city sophisticate.  But my empathy is strained, and I’m feeling dissatisfied with myself.

2 comments:

  1. Did you create the maple leaf fabric circle? I love the applique of the two images done in that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to make it look like a leaf floating in a shallow pool of water.

    ReplyDelete