Sunday, March 20, 2016

Mar 20 – Superior Rowing

my vision of the U.P. road
I’m approaching the long stretch of road through the woods of Wisconsin & Michigan’s Upper Peninsula along Lake Superior, and feeling daunted.  Lots & lots of cycling with very few towns at all.  The Big Woods with one road built through it.  (I may be wrong about the lack of points of interest, and I won’t know until I start exploring, but this is my expectation.)  And then I had an idea …

If only I had a rowing machine at home, I could set up a virtual rowing trip the length of Lake Superior. 

Measuring nautical miles somehow… Seeing waterfront cottages along the shore… 

Of course, this would probably be even more boring & uneventful than cycling through national forests…

Except that it’s storm-tossed Lake Superior, the “Graveyard of the Great Lakes”.  As I’ve been looking for images of rowing along the shores of Lake Superior, I’ve made exciting discoveries!

Bayfield Sea Caves
I found spectacular waterfalls, best viewed from the water, on Minnesota’s northern stretch of shoreline (not on my route).  Crashing waves & frozen waveforms in winter.  And the Bayfield sea caves!  People can row around and through these caves & tunnels formed by those crashing waves.  I found tourist maps of the peninsula for rowing excursions, scenic overlooks, fall foliage-viewing, & recreational experiences.  
There’s enough weather, geology, and boating to keep my interest for quite a while.  I’ll just have to see how many coastal experiences I can weave into my forest cycling journey.


Rowing to Lake Superior’s Sea Caves, by Patrick Durkin:  http://www.actionhub.com/stories/2013/07/31/rowing-to-lake-superiors-sea-caves/

No comments:

Post a Comment