Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Douglas, Manitoba


Douglas Community Rink
1,322 miles

Feb 3 – I imagine this rink is a center of community life here.  Since the sign proclaims that it originated in 1947, I guess that this Quonset-like metal building with the pointed roof was part of a World War II military base that was decommissioned at the end of the war.  
church(?) windows with pointed arches
I like the curve of this pointed arch.  It seems very practical in a snowy region.  The shape of the arch reminds me of the windows on this nearby church.

To capture my own image of this small-town ice rink, I searched Google Street views, but was sent to other towns.  I (virtually) rode my bike all around town using Google Street Views until I found it & captured this picture.  To find the church, I searched for Douglas, MB, church, but was sent to other towns in the area.  Again, I cruised around town until I found it almost next to the ice rink on S. Railway St..  I’m disappointed in Google on this one, and I feel that I should take the responsibility to “Add a place” to their database.  … Thinking about it … I don’t know the name of the church … There is no sign on it … I wonder whether an outsider should be messing with this.  Maybe it is no longer a church, but has been converted into another secular community hall.  I’ll leave it in peaceful obscurity.

Afterword:  I just came across a whole section of humorous quotes about Canada in last month’s Funny Times newspaper!  This one seems so appropriate for appending to this post about Douglas:

“Canada is an entire country named Doug.” – Greg Proops (American comedian)


Presumably, this quip implies that the people of this country are pleasant, probably boring, and have a vaguely Scottish aura. 

images:  Google Street Views

No comments:

Post a Comment