Friday, February 19, 2016

Feb 19 - The Rancher & the Calf

Feb 19 – My exercise regimen has been based on a folktale I heard years ago about an American rancher who was strong enough to lift a full-grown bull!  He explained that he had begun lifting the calf when it was born, then lifted it every day so he could be strong enough to lift it as it grew.  (I suppose that the calf grew accustomed to being lifted every day, too.  At what point would it fight him off?)  Of course, the problem with this plan is that the calf is eating & growing faster than the rancher’s muscles can possibly do.  Still, this story was the inspiration for my own strengthening program.  I never had to measure my strength or fitness against some ideal standard, but only against my own progress.  And my progress could be miniscule, as long as I kept it up.

As I began to write this post, I searched for the source of the folktale and found that it was originally about an ancient Greek strongman, Milo of Croton.  And, naturally, many people have modeled their own fitness plans on his idea.  And many people have pointed out that the calf’s ability to grow will inevitably outpace Milo’s weightlifting ability.

My plan has succeeded very well in some ways.  In 4 months, I’ve increased my daily session from 10 miles a day (in 15th gear, at about 40 rpm) to 14 miles a day (also in 15th gear, at 42 rpm).  My heart & lungs are stronger and my posture has improved.  My attitude about exercise is better: more confident & willing to persist when the going gets strenuous.  But I can’t believe how MUCH exercise is required to make a noticeable improvement.

One important goal for me was to be able to walk farther, more steadily, & even gracefully.  In that, I haven’t made any progress at all.  I realize that I’m walking like a pro cyclist after a full day of riding: a little bow-legged, awkwardly trying to stand upright, & needing to be half-carried to the winner’s podium.  Some days I use a can to get myself across a parking lot.  I can’t believe that I’m actually that muscle-bound, but my walking muscles are certainly not developed in proportion to my cycling muscles. 

Increased cycling will speed me (virtually) on my way to Vermont, but it won’t help me walk anywhere.  I need to exercise other muscles, doing something different for a different result.

Planning & anticipating my virtual journey has kept me going when plain cycling was awfully tedious.  Exploring the small towns along my way has been fascinating!  But I know that I’m spending too much of my day exploring, collecting images, and writing descriptions for my blog.  Too much time sitting at my computer & thinking, but not about my main family history project.  Not even thinking about daily life, much less getting up & doing chores & household projects.

How can I change my exercise routine but still make virtual progress to Vermont?  How can I continue exploring my virtual journey, but still have time for historical writing?



No comments:

Post a Comment