Thursday, February 4, 2016

Feb 4 - discouragement

“It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.” – Confucius

Since I got a cold last month, I’ve been struggling to regain the strength & stamina & confidence I was enjoying before that.  I was starting to think that I would be ready to increase my cycling to 14 miles per day by the time I reached Manitoba.  But since being sick for just a few days, it has taken me 3 weeks of struggle to get to the point where I can go into my gym knowing that I can do 13 miles, and not be wiped out for the rest of the day.

Frankly, I'd rather spend 3 hours a day researching Canada than an hour & a half setting up, warming up, exerting & sweating & counting my way through, then showering & resting.

As I approach the midpoint of this journey, I’ve been seriously questioning whether I can ever do 14 or 15 miles a day and whether it’s worth even trying.  I’ve been dreaming up plans & formulas to make a less-strenuous schedule look like continuing progress.  Maybe I should take a regular rest day every week, or 2 half-mileage days.



But Confucius is reminding me to keep going.  While I ponder a new plan, keep cycling.  As I start to think of excuses to skip cycling today – just today – keep setting aside the time for cycling.  During the first 4 miles of each session, while I wonder if I can really do my full mileage today, keep cycling.  When I’m discouraged that I can’t keep the pace that I had been doing a month ago, keep cycling.

No comments:

Post a Comment