Sunday, April 10, 2016

Apr 10 – Rowing Lake Superior

I’m still toying with the idea of rowing along the shore of Lake Superior for a while.  Not the whole length from Duluth, Minnesota, to Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, of course.  But I have been thinking about rowing on any of the numerous lakes I’ve seen along my way.  
And I’ve been wishing for more variety of exercise.  I’m thinking that there must be more exercise machines that could simulate travelling a distance.  So far, I’ve thought of rowing and cross-country skiing.  Hey!  On future trips, I could plan for rowing across lakes and skiing across winter snow!

On my planned route, the road hugs the shore of Lake Superior for a few days, so this looks like the best opportunity to try rowing.  I’m searching for a way to try it without the commitment of a major equipment purchase.  I’m looking at local gyms and stores and community centers.

I live in a place full of lakes and parks.  Why don’t I just go rent a rowboat at a local park, you ask?  

Well, it’s the hassle of getting ready, wearing a life jacket, getting into the boat & onto the water, keeping my balance, dealing with weather, and learning techniques – all while someone watches me.  These are some reasons that people avoid going outdoors or to a commercial gym for exercise.  They add up to too many stressful real-life experiences for me in this virtual adventure.  And this reminds me of a paddleboat excursion a few years ago.  It seemed like a great fusion of bike pedaling and floating on calm water, until the paddle mechanism broke apart & floated away, leaving us stranded on the lake, literally without a paddle.  I don’t want to feel that helpless & abandoned again.


What I expected from a rowing machine was a simulation of rowing a boat on a lake.  
What I see in images of common machines is a pulling mechanism, straight back and forth down the center. 
This is probably a good exercise, but not optimal for my rowing fantasy.


No comments:

Post a Comment