Saturday, April 16, 2016

Apr 16 – Rowing through the Gym

I found a commercial membership gym that is friendly to my project goals.  The membership fee is only $10/month, so I can afford to use their equipment as a supplement to my transcontinental cycling.  This gym is “designed for first-time gym users,” rather than obsessive, show-off body-builders.  Much of the equipment is painted a cheerful bright yellow and rich purple, with pictures & instructions for using it.  There’s a trainer on hand to help out anybody, including designing an individual exercise program.  I am looking at their space like a recess playground where I can just try anything for a while, just as long as it’s interesting & fun. 

Today I joined the gym & tried out several different machines.  I found that my mounts & dismounts are the most difficult part.  Each machine required a size adjustment, so I climbed on & off finding the right fit.  A trainer helping me find my way through that process would have been nice, but I had chosen to visit during a time when the trainer was not present.  

The etiquette of communal space was basically the lessons of kindergarten: Wait your turn, be considerate, & clean up after yourself.  Each person that I saw sprayed & wiped the seat & backrest of their machine when they were finished.  The gym management posts friendly positive messages to make everyone feel welcome.  Many messages focus on becoming able to do physical things that you couldn’t do before. 

I found a few different machines that simulate rowing somewhat.  I closed my eyes & thought of Lake Superior.  But I couldn’t convince myself that I was rowing a boat.  For now, I’m not going to try to use these exercises to achieve mileage for my journey.  I’ll use this experience to aid my overall functioning on my non-cycling days & to enhance my inner journey.
 
So, I played & learned, and I’m eager to go back!


No comments:

Post a Comment