Friday, April 29, 2016

Western Brimley, Michigan

2,170 miles

Apr 29 - Again, at my 14-mile stopping place I see lots of roadway with trees on either side.  I’m stymied in my search for local interest.  I see a few daisies at the side of the road … a dirt road or two leading into the woods … But then I hear rumors of the existence of the Delirium Swamp.  It’s too far off my route to bike there, but I had to investigate virtually. 

Sylvester "Pond"
The Delirium Wilderness is an area within the Hiawatha National Forest, sculpted long ago by glaciers and now a collection of marshland, bogs, and mire.  It contains Sylvester Pond and Delirium Pond, as well as the headwaters of the Pine and Waiska Rivers.  In its drier areas red and jack pine grow, but most of it is swamp, growing aspen trees, white cedar, and swamp conifer. 
Wetland wildlife includes beaver, otter, duck, loon, great blue heron, and sandhill crane. Whitetail deer, bobcat, and black bear are also found in the area.

Apparently, this wilderness is almost inaccessible, even though I found the one photo of one so-called “pond”.  This sign says “Foot travel welcome. Closed to all public motor vehicle use.”  But it appears that foot travel is also rare.  The legends speak of swarms of aggressive, hungry lacy-winged biting flies and mosquitoes. 

Which brings up that aforementioned “delirium”.    Delirium is a temporary dementia characterized by restlessness, excitement, delusions, and/or hallucinations.  It can be caused by falling in love, of course, but it is often associated with infectious fevers, particularly malaria & swamp fever.  Sufficient reason in my mind to avoid the place like a quagmire!

In gazing at Google maps to find something interesting along the roadway, I came across this mysterious compound.  It does not appear at all on Google Maps or Street View, only on Earth View.  I find it very intriguing.  An obscure sports arena?  An alien landing site?  It looks rather like a particle accelerator super-collider. 
Tevatron super-collider at FermiLab
With graceful tendrils wafting to the side… Clearly visible, but unexplained.  Thought-provoking. 



Delirium Wilderness info & image:  http://www.ababsurdo.com/archives/date/2006/07

No comments:

Post a Comment