Tuesday, May 31, 2016

May 31 – Ready to Fly ?

My exercise experiment continues to be fun, but I’ve been disappointed in my attempts to simulate a greater variety of ways to travel: rowing, cross-country skiing, kayaking. 
While I was taking a medical respite from rowing, the commercial gym installed a new piece of equipment for a different kind of back extension.  Stand at an angle, then bend down at the hips & straighten up.

Winged Victory (Nike) in Rome, Italy

People using it remind me of the victory stance of the couple at the prow of the Titanic (Rose & Jack in the movie).  It looks like victorious flying!

I was afraid of the equipment.  I was afraid of my own weakness.  Maybe I’d slip & fall off of it.  Maybe my back was too weak, & I’d flop down & be unable to lift my torso up for victory.  Because of these fears & my fascination, I knew I had to approach (cautiously) & continue to explore the possibilities it offered me. 
This equipment doesn’t adjust low enough for my short legs, so can’t use it properly to strengthen my back.   Pooh.  But I was able to get onto it & try a few stances.  I can maintain the victory pose, but it uses my butt & thigh muscles more than my back.  Bending down doesn’t bend me at quite the right angle, and I am, indeed, too weak to use it that way. 

The other back extension equipment that I’ve been using feels good during & after my exercise session.  I can do 3 sets of 15 reps, and I’ve increased the weight I can push with it.  But maybe I should strengthen my back on this before I try again to fly on the prow of this ship.

I had thought that when my virtual bike trip reached Sault Ste. Marie, it would be a good time to buy my plane tickets for my actual trip to Vermont.  But I’m feeling unready in so many ways.  My historical research has not progressed enough to take good advantage of a trip to the Vermont Historical Society archives.  I haven’t saved up enough money to afford a plane ticket.  All of my exercise has strengthened my muscles, but not caused any weight loss for a more comfortable plane ride.  I’m enjoying my journey!  I’m gaining skills in blogging, and it’s bringing me amazing experiences & understandings.  I think I want to finish my virtual trip and enjoy every day intensely before I start planning for my real one.


 images:  Google Image Search

No comments:

Post a Comment