Thursday, January 21, 2016

Broadview, Saskatchewan

1,166 miles


The town of Broadview was established in 1882 as a Canadian Pacific Railway divisional point.  The town claims a “natural ice-skating and hockey rink”, but it seems that no one has ever taken a photo of it (and posted it online).  

As I was cruising the town in Google Street Views, this charming stone house caught my eye.  In fact, I’m realizing how many stone buildings I’ve been seeing since Regina and their complete absence all across the grassy Great Plains.  With no natural building materials except sod, I guess everything had to be imported, and that meant wood & metal.  And now I’m entering a new landscape.

1 comment:

  1. This is fascinating! I found the drop down menu and indeed there is an 'anonymous'. I wish I had spent more time with this before now. I have some catching up to do! I can't wait to see you again.

    ReplyDelete