Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Pasqua, Saskatchewan


rusty gas pump in a fading town
          1,049 miles

Jan 6 – Poignant images and nostalgic personal stories about this declining white town can be found on Mike Stobbs’ website, The Fading Town of Pasqua Saskatchewan.  

But I finally found some evidence of a longer history when I saw the Chief Paskwa Education Center, with its architectural reference to a tepee.  I wonder why they avoid the word “school” in its name.  Possibly bad associations with white schooling.  Or, am I projecting American history onto Canadians?

Chief Paskwa Education Center
Even though this historical background is nothing I can “see” on my bike ride today, if I know about the area’s past I can see today’s snapshot view with a better perspective.

Chief Ben Pasqua
“Ben” Pasqua, a Plains Cree, was born in 1828, a son of Mahkaysis.  In 1874 he was chief of a tribal group making their living with bison hunting in the vicinity of today's Leech Lake.  They had also created gardens and raised a small herd of cattle.  In September 1874 Pasqua tried to negotiate with the Canadian government for compensation to the tribes for the taking of their land.  Despite the refusal of Canada, he finally signed the treaty and moved to a reserve five miles west of Fort Qu'Appelle and kept his people out of the Northwest Rebellion of 1885.



gas pump image: flickriver.com
The Fading Town of Pasqua Saskatchewan:  http://www.pbase.com/impalass/pasqua_saskatchewan&page=1
school image:  http://www.bbk-eng.ca/


No comments:

Post a Comment