Monday, January 25, 2016

Stand & Explore

I realize how much I’ve been influenced by the lyrics of the R.E.M. song “Stand”.  And this project, in particular, is bringing a lot of it together.

“Stand in the place where you live …
Think about direction, wonder why you haven't before.”

I’ve lived in a lot of different places, and I’ve learned to put down some kind of roots to genuinely be where I find myself, rather than constantly longing to be somewhere else.

“Think about the place where you live
Wonder why you haven't before”

This is also reminding me to “Think Globally, Act Locally”.  I do think globally and keep a broad perspective.  And it relates to my place in time, as well.  My sense of time is very fluid, and I think in terms of many time periods of history.  I feel that I could be at home in many different times and places that I have learned about.  I’ve developed a personal philosophy that can take me many places and relate to the people I discover there.    The repeated “Stand” in the song keeps bringing me back to earth, like a meditation mantra.

“Your feet are going to be on the ground
Your head is there to move you around”

Living in my current home allows me comfort, companionship, and familiar resources.  The historical research I’m doing allows me to live mentally in 1867 Rutland.  Virtual travel enables me to explore the world and return home to comfort and familiarity every night.

“No matter where you go, there you are.” – Confucius


I’m not eager to go travelling the world physically.  I’d love to explore the world through time travel, but that would involve a lot more discomfort and risk, and it must remain a fantasy.  I explore through historical research and mental stretching.  I am enjoying virtual travel in the world, too, in very specific local spots on the map.  So, instead of using my feet to move me around, I use my head.
In my case, my head is always moving me around, so I need to keep reminding myself to keep my feet on the ground.


“Stand in the place where you are (now face North)
Stand in the place where you are (now face West)
Your feet are going to be on the ground (stand in the place where you are)
Your head is there to move you around, so stand (stand in the place where you are)
Stand.”

graphic: unknown origin


No comments:

Post a Comment